Thursday, October 14, 2010

Private Eyes

Women ruin everything. For instance I was doing my routine day off errands today and popped in to Trader Joe's. Soon after walking in my eyes met with this bearded cashier. I was caught me off guard because I was in such a hurry and when he looked at me his eyes locked on to his target and they were very intense. Throughout my shopping he kept taking the time out from ringing people up to look over at me every time I came around the corner. I decided to take time to check him out in return. He was a nice looking guy. I tried to listen to him with his customers as I walked by and could tell he had a kind heart and a soft demeanor. He was wearing a short sleeve tee-shirt so I could tell he wasn't the most worked out guy but had a good solid build. Unfortunately he had some tattoos on each arm. Personally not my style but something I could over look for an actual date. This must be what my friends are telling me about. "Try meeting them in a normal way" when they insist that I will never find "the one" from online dating or bar hopping. I got nervous. I was nervous thinking about trying to strike up a conversation with him at checkout that may lead to me inviting him to dinner. I strategically pursued my shopping while eyeing the checkout lines and waiting for that opportunistic chance that his line might open up.

I became frustrated quickly as it turned out that he was apparently everyone's favorite cashier. Four lanes were open but people kept lining up in his. Finally there was light at the end of the tunnel and I made my move. He had only one person in his line and everyone else had two. He was halfway through ringing her up as I stepped in right behind. I thought for sure this plan was solid. He made some immediate eye contact that made me almost uncomfortable because now I was only steps away from him but I thought to myself "Don't back down, shoot him those piercing baby blues". I tried to meander a little mutual in return yet much to my dismay in my nervous fit of looking around acting as though I was aloof my eyes locked with the one cashier lady that motioned for me, "Sir, I can take you over here". Dammit!

I was so outraged but had to play this one off something cool as I made my way to her checkout line and made sure to let my shoulders seem sunken. When I reached her destination I sighed to let her know I was frustrated and the more thought I had given I became angrier and angrier. I saw multiple customers walking up right behind me and realized that timing was only seconds away from working out in my favor had I not made eye contact with her I was moments away from another pushy TJ's customer making their way to her line before me.

This cashier was also the same woman who had stood by while I waited in a line of four deep holding one of the heaviest baskets any of my visits to Trader Joe's had ever seen while only one cashier was on duty. It made me think of all the times I have been into that particular Trader Joe's and wondered why this seemed to be the only store that did not hop to when trying to get all customers serviced and checked out in a timely fashion.

I was outraged by the inconsistency in their level of service but realized how it might sound if I complained. While she was ringing up my items (and she was quick - as if she couldn't wait to get me the hell out of there) I took a moment to look back at my momentary crush of a cashier who was unsurprisingly staring right back at me from his eyes to mine. I figured "what the hell?" On my way out I would give it a go and say "Have a great day" in a neighborly fashion and at least see if this might muster a smile for confirmation of the flirtation that had just taken place.

Unfortunately when I walked by he was elbow deep into some soccer mother's shopping cart of weekly supplies and did not give me one last eye kiss on my departure of the grocery. I wish I had refused her offer to ring me up, "No thank you, I'm not interested." I could have told her that I didn't mind waiting and that my basket was heavy and I would just stay put. Maybe I will get another chance on a different visit but today's experience surely was not my victory.

No comments: